There are many challenges that Seafarers face on board that take a lot out of them both mentally and physically. For the past few years, maintaining a healthy lifestyle has been one of the most popular discussion topics. So, what does living healthy mean for those of us who take to sea often? Marine insight recently took a look at ways to keep your mind and body fit on board. Here are the top 10 ways you can achieve a healthier lifestyle on board:
1. Eat Right. Fruits, vegetables, lean meats, and fish. Try oatmeal for breakfast – instant oatmeal is a great option when you’re on the go. After all, it is the most important meal of the day.
2. Drink Milk. Try to drink at least two glasses every day to supplement your calcium intake. Calcium helps support your bones as well as keeps your heart beating steadily, your blood, nerves, and muscles working correctly. Boating can be a strenuous activity – keep your body properly fueled for maximum performance.
3. Minimize Sweets as Dessert. For those chocolate lovers, like me, go for the dark chocolate whenever a craving strikes. It helps lower high blood pressure. It’s important to give yourself a break to indulge at least once a week.
4. Do Yoga. Yoga has been proved very beneficial for both physical and mental aspects of the body. So clear your mind and stimulate your body as you partake in this therapeutic practice. Throw your mat down on the deck to really test your balance on the water!
5. Swim. What better way to exercise than by enjoying the open waters? Swimming is commonly said to be the best form of physical activity. It is used to improve cardiovascular and lower blood pressure as well as physical therapy.
6. Detoxify Daily. Drink at least eight glasses of water daily. Dehydration occurs when your body doesn’t replace water that you’ve lost through things like sweat and tears. So, when you’re out in the sun, make sure you drink lots of water since you’ll be sweating more.
7. Moderate Alcohol Intake. Know your limits. Alcoholic beverages should settle in your stomach, not in your head. Remember, you’re operating a vehicle. Boating under the influence is both dangerous and illegal. Roughly half of all boating accidents are alcohol or drug-related according to the DUI Foundation. So practice safe boating and celebrate the season in moderation.
8. Limit the Intake of Soft Drinks/Carbonated Drinks. Some contain a small percentage of phosphoric and citric acid that might irritate the gastric glands, when taken on an empty stomach. Not to mention, the high calorie count can increase your body weight – opt for water instead and stay hydrated.
9. Stay connected. Keep your lines of communication open – it helps alleviate stress. Perhaps invest in some walkie-talkies to help you communicate with other boaters – they’re fun and promote safety.
10. Have a Positive Attitude. Being open minded to changes creates a calmer atmosphere for both you and others on board.
These tips are easy ways to commit yourself to maintaining a healthier lifestyle, and they happen to be excellent advice while at sea. Do you have any tips or advice for maintaining your wellness on board? We’d love to hear them. Post it below!